Friday 25 February 2011

Oji -ji -ji -ji baby baby baby

I've been getting a lot of hits from people looking for information about Oji Garu/Ojikawa lately.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there on the internet, which is weird since I definitely keep seeing Oji girls pop up in Japanese fashion mags and granddad style staples always seem to go down great with the fashion crowd. I would have expected it to become quite big online and maybe even trickle down to the UK, but alas, it's still very much a niche thing. I guess the elderly are an underrepresented target group even on the internet. Poor things! Maybe in a year or so? I hope they can wait that long.

So yeah, I guess it's up to me to uncle it up and keep you updated on what to wear if you want to be a real old man girl. Trust me, I'd know. I've been playing chess in the park and adjusting the thermostat since I was eight years old.

So sit back, put on your favourite oldies radio station and enjoy my guide to Oji Garu: Part 2!
PS's perfect rendition of a well dressed uncle - suteki na ojisan

Aoyagi Fumiko seems to be the official Oji girl mascot
Oji girl street snaps in PS Magazine


Important Oji girl note: if you're not down with oxford type shoes...this probably isn't gonna work for you. Try again in 30 years.

Zipper Magazine has a lot of fashion-y oji girl features, good for those who are not quite up for the full pensioner experience yet


Outfit on the right is my favourite: A perfect example of uncle-ing up your everyday clothes
So yeah...Oji Garu is here to stay! Or at least in Japan it is. The rest of the world will just have to wait. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a petanque tournament to attend. 



No comments:

Post a Comment